PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Navy Flying Grading
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2006, 09:34
6Z3

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I enjoyed Roborough twice. On the first occasion I overheard Stan Greenhaugh (sp?) saying to his new stude: "I'll teach you to fly in 20 mins....". About two months later he started his speal to his latest new stude with: "I'll teach you to fly in 25 mins". I'm sure it was only 20 mins last time said I; yes I must be slipping in my old age said he. Mr Hawkins sent me solo; I'm fairly sure it was because he was just too knackered to heave on the parachute so late in the afternoon, even after I carried it to the aircraft for him!!. Oh happy days.
They've just moved to Yeovilton I hear, so the end of a very long and distinguished era for the Graders at Roborough.
Advice: Demonstrate for all your trips that you learnt from the previous trip(s). Checks are so easy to get right, it just takes a bit of time in the hangar with an oppo, don't let the opportunity be wasted because you couldn't be bothered to learnt them off pat. Same applies to later aircraft. Learning checks is money for old rope, as is properly studying the local area map so that you know where you are in the local area. Both exercises will help to free up the brain capacity for stuff you need to learn from you beefer in the air.