PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Management And Pilots Should Read This!
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2001, 21:25
alexb757

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with much of what has been said on this topic. Moreover, I have worked in management in another industry as well as other airline operational areas on both sides of the Atlantic. I currently fly with a small (but growing)US domestic airline which, @ the moment is non-unionized. Without doubt, trust on all sides is crucial to provide long-term harmony & fiinancial success - on BOTH sides. Work rules are fine but only if both sides respect them. With a contract, you are more orless bound by them. Yes, some of the wage awards in recent years have been obscene. Now some of those carriers are paying the price. Whatever happened to compromise?
Indeed, there are few CEOs like Herb Kelleher, Richard Branson et al. who value their employees and treat them as individuals not just some number.
If you have a look @ a recent copy of Airways magazine, there is an excellent article about airline managment styles and labor relations which should be compulsory reading for everyone. Finally, a qoute from one CEO: "It's not labor unrest per se that encourages unions on to the property but bad management". Enough said......