PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many attempts to land the job?
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2006, 23:05
MackMeeter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can offer no more helpful advice than anybody else has here. It took me 2.5 years of applying before I got my first job. I have a box full of rejection leters just like most, although my favourites adorn my toilet wall in a picture frame -the best one being the rejection then offer of employment with one company spearated by 4 years!

If you want it badly enough it will happen, just hold your nerve and keep the faith. You do however need to make you own luck. Keep a spreadsheet on who you've applied to, how you applied and what the result was, when to contact them again. Sounds a bit anal but it works. Build up those contacts, the aero club bar/cafe was alaways a good one, there's 5 airline blokes I know of still hanging about at the club I used to instruct at, you'll be suprised who you get chatting to! Its a fine like between being actively in contact and a pain in the backside unfortunately, you just have to use your own judgement. Don't be discouraged by stories of Johnny Oxford getting their first job in a 757 after 16 months of first setting foot in an aircraft if you're plodding away at modular because there are plenty integrated studes who don't get anywhere at first. We've all had to pass those nasty exams and do the flight test regardless of the route we got there (those who know me will know how difficult it was for me to say that!).

Stay positive, maximise your chances/opportunities and try not to take the knock backs personally, good luck!!