PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crosswind take-off. Upwind engine failure.
Old 17th Dec 2006, 20:47
john_tullamarine

Received 113 Likes on 73 Posts
formulaben,

When I go back for recurrent, I'm going to ask for max crosswind and a V1 cut. Should be fun to see what happens...

.. but at min weight and speed schedule .. presumes that you are Vmcg-limited.

Slightly different suggestion ... presuming the sim panel organ grinder is amenable, time available, and your aircraft is Vmcg limited at low weight ...

(a) min weight, min speed schedule, max forward CG. Engine failure just before V1 .. it may take a couple of goes to get the hang of it as the whole thing goes in a flash at light weights.

(b) same but for mid CG ..

(c) same but for max aft CG. As the CG moves back, be prepared to use very positive aileron input (could be to max deflection) to catch the roll .. aileron needs to go in rapidly and then be backed off rapidly to suit the initial climbout .. will probably take a couple of goes to get the hang of it.

(d) same but with, say, engine seizure

(e) if you a lucky enough to have a decent bird strike programmed into the box, then try that

(f) aim is to handle the failure and then climb out back tracking the opposite end localiser.

.. and, of course, all this should be done raw data .. ie no FD.

If you thought you had a fast I/F scan .. then watch it really improve with several of these ... or else you will have to scrape the box off the red screen (or whatever passes for crash in your scenario). A lot depends on box fidelity of course .. some are pretty average, some very good.

If you think that is a big ask, it's not .. I've trained numerous endorsement crews to handle just this .. and then they NEVER have any problems with "normal" critical failures .. walk in the park.

Main thing is that, if you haven't done some practice here .. you DON'T want to see it first time for real .. my thought is that the majority of folk will have little chance of catching the bird before the ground does ...