PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military rotary wing assets: Army or RAAF
Old 17th Dec 2006, 08:32
griffinblack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trapezoid –

From my point of view, I cannot deny your statement.

Which are you?
Why don’t you PM me, and I will let you know exactly my credentials and background and you can decide.

PAF –

Nice try.

AOTW –

but are you suggesting that an Army helicopter unit would accept more risk than a RAAF one?
The answer is yes (in context). Using our example above, with the need to conduct JAAT IOT save lives, I have no doubt army aviation would do the task, the question is would RAAF do the task? and are they able to refuse it? Clearly the task is ‘extreme’ risk. I am still waiting for this answer from you. In day to day training and exercises the answer is no.

You say

my discussion of my background was aimed at cutting through some of this hypothetical to and fro-ing
However, you initially stated you wanted to add fuel to the fire.

Unless the infantry commander has his own helicopters, ie part of his unit that he can task as he wants, there's going to be possible conflict between him wanting to do something on the one hand, and the aviators possibly thinking it's too risky on the other, be they green or blue uniformed.
The commander is the commander. He may be infantry, armoured, artillery or even aviation (its an arms corps thing). The task force/formation commander is nevertheless the commander and tasks ‘his’ assets.

unless things have changed drastically since I left
When was the last time you served in an Air or Land Comd unit?

a background or otherwise in ground warfare makes little difference to how you shape up as a helicopter operator in the battlefield environment. If that's your contention, then I reckon it's a crock.
Sure, if you are a new pilot or number 3 in a formation of 8. But if you are S3, LO, OC or Tp comd, you must know and understand ground manoeuvre to be most effective. How do we shape those young guys to think and understand?

Perhaps that leads nicely into culture…. Do you wish to start?