PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who is the best heli pilot in the world?
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2006, 03:50
IHL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nick your story of Capt Hans Zeedyke brings to mind stories I’ve heard about a couple of legendary Okanagan pilots: Michel Durin and Pierre Looten. They may not be the greatest but they deserve honorable mention.

Flying 61s Off Shore out St. Johns Newfoundland (NFLD), in the worst weather the planet has to offer: high winds, rain, freezing rain, sleet, snow, ice, fog, freezing fog and all other forms of crap. (The cold Labrador Current meets with the warm Gulf Stream making it the foggiest place on earth.) These guys were Pioneers in Off Shore helicopter flying and developed procedures that are still used today.

Both these pilots came to Canada from France after the flying helicopters for the French Military in Algeria.

Michel is a no-nonsense man of superior intellect and integrity, I had the good fortune of having him as a Chief Pilot.

Pierre Looten passed away in 2003; unfortunately I never had the honor of meeting him. I have attached a link to his memoriam published in Transport Canada’s 2003 Vortex.

In Memoriam: Remembering Pierre Looten
http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/sy.../1-03/V032.htm