PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus technology defects
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2006, 19:40
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So approaching the matter obliquely didn't help. I only got accused of being profesorial. Oh, well...

Your opinion: aircraft that does not lift it's nose when the pilots pulls, that does not deliver thrust when the pilot slams the throttles IS a screw up. Well sir, since I have to be blunt, this level of ignorance about aerodynamics and powerplants can not be and is not tolerated at PPL level, let alone ATPL. What do you make out of A320 with 14° ANU and slowly descending? Probably nothing ,so I'll tell you: the poor thing has almost stalled. Any further pitch-up would lead to stall, and certainly not to climb away, as engines were at idle. By overriding capt's MA's control inputs, A320's FBW alpha protection actually saved a lot of pax that day. Sadly, alpha-floor protection 'thought' that airplane was landing, as it was at 30 ft RA, so didn't intervene by automatically hitting TOGA. And no, even A320 doesn't override control inputs, while flying far from the edge of envelope. If you pull stick, it will pitch-up, if you have some AoA to spare.

As for slamming the throttles and expecting the instant power - every engine used to power the aircraft, from rotax to klimov to GE90 has spool-up time. Granted, some have it so short that it's often mispercieved as instantenious. But turbofans definitively have perceptible lag and do require some forward thinking. It's the nature of these high-powered beasts, nothing can be done about it. And forget about 'A320 weerd thrust leevers' that don't let the pilot have control. They worked as designed, expected, required - in short they gave TOGA when set to TOGA. Only not instantly, but you won't find instant power in anything, except perhaps JATO packs.

So your opinion puts about every aeroplane ever built in screwed-up category.

Still too profesorial for you? Don't worry, translation comes: you're a faker. If I believed you were pro, I'd be seriously worried about trainning and checking standards at your airline. Still I have to admit that you've made a good point, once:

Originally Posted by Gretchenfrage
I insist on my point of view that a true airline pilot has to deal with the shortcomings of his aircraft or stop operating it. He cannot screw up and use such glitches as excuse