PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2006, 16:40
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by tucumseh
In times long gone, a set of "LTC Instructions" were issued annually, around February. This system died in the early 90s. In my experience, a great majority of funding problems on projects could have been avoided if this old process had been followed. And because it is a well known process, which has never actually been rescinded but just fallen into disuse, it is very easy to prove what I say simply by constructing a dummy "LTC" bid. But who am I to contradict MoD, who say it is unnecessary attention to detail and a waste of time? (Tell that to anyone who has had to leave expensive new kit behind when deployed, because they haven't been trained how to use it).
Hi Tuc! I must confess most of what you posted went right over my head, but the parts that I have cobbled together above ring a bell. It all follows the same pattern as people posted on the 'meltdown' thread, ie we had a system which, though not perfect, served the purpose. In that case it was a unified chain of command (ie ran unbroken from top to bottom with all the necessary administrative functions 'in house') and the powers of command of subordinate commanders (formally the right to administer summary punishment, but more broadly to resolve the personal and compassionate issues of their subordinates at unit, wing and station levels. The present system (surely a misnomer) plainly doesn't work, witness threads re JPA, quarters, and morale, etc., leading to record PVR rates.
I know this is way off thread, but it seems to me that someone needs to see the wood for the trees here. The maniacs have run wild and the asylum is a mess. It would seem rather inappropriate to deal with this one room at a time. We need to get the maniacs back under lock and key, repair the leaking roof and broken windows etc, before redecorating our particular room! If that room is where the ordering and equipping of major items like carriers and their aircraft is done, just hang on, we have to ensure that there will be effectively manned armed forces around to operate them at the time!