PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where to from Africa?
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2006, 23:06
Jelly Doughnut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Snitch, some good advice there from Jockflyer...

I would say, make the most of your time in the bush. With your hours you are ready to go into contract/twin/turbine flying, which is great experience. You will see awesome places that most people never get to see (SC the cynic will tell you that most people never want to see them )

Always keep in mind where you want to go, but never quit a job without knowing your next step. I assume you still have a CPL, in which case your flying hours will be no use to you when it comes to converting your license to a JAR one. Better to get the ATPL first and 500 hours of multi-crew/turbine flying. It helps with the conversion and also employers in Europe are not really interested in piston time.

I got a lucky break into contract flying, straight from flight school, and spent 3 years all over Africa including 8 months on a 737-200. My aim was always to be in a 'proper' airline age 30. Now age 33, sitting at the national airline here, not a day goes by where I don't think about my bush time. Often I think, why did I only do 3 years, when I've still got 25-30 years of airline flying ahead of me.

Something else worth considering - contract flying enabled me to study for the JAR exams through a distance learning course, whilst still earning money and flying hours.

Who do you fly for in Maun? Some good guys up there, regards to Dan at swampair if he's still around....

Good luck