PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Access to drive C denied
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2006, 20:34
Keef

Official PPRuNe Chaplain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, assuming you know my IP address (which the PPRuNe admins will have instant access to), then you can try connecting to it. You find that it doesn't respond to pings, that there are no open ports, and that any attempt to connect to any port elicits no response whatever.

So you send me an e-mail with a trojan in it. But it's not a plain text e-mail, so the filters look at it, decide they don't like it, and put it in the "disinfect" folder.

You drive round and park your car outside my house. You find the WLAN. You try to connect. It wants to know your MAC code, ID and password. You listen for a few days, till I turn on the laptop, and then try to clone that.

Yes, it's hackable. If you're really determined, you'll get in. Smashing down the door is probably quicker and easier.

IO540 - I don't have any desktop folders on any other drives than C. Yes, folks could park a virus-laden Excel workbook on the relevant drive. They would need to connect to the network first.

If someone is that determined, they can spend a lot of time trying, and may achieve something. There has to be a better way to spend time

The basic security rules work - don't share drive C unless you're sure your kids won't be on the network.