PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter pilot saves fixed-wing pilot - Unbelievable sequel! (NOW UPDATED)
Old 15th Dec 2006, 17:57
ExSimGuy

Sims Fly Virtually

Location: Used to be 3rd Sand Dune from the Left - But now I'm somewhere else somewhere else.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bloody Disgusting!

Many years ago, and a totally different scenario (albeit very close to Shoreham Airport!) and a very sane approach by "the authorities" . . .

Myself, and some friends, who hold UK "Ham" radio licenses, took part in a charity "bath-tub race", starting some 4 miles up-river from Shoreham Airport.

Just before the start, a spectator had a heart attack (or something similar) on the other bank and I dove into the river to swim across and the guy was definitely in need of emergency help.

In those days, there were no cell-phones, and a sprint to the nearest house, and the time taken to borrow a phone, would have been quite long, so I yelled at my pal on the other bank to shout for help on his "ham" vhf gear.

(we took part in the event as a ham group ("Raynet"),and were raising charity money via hams we contacted while afloat)

My pal got a shore-based fellow ham to put in a 999 call and an ambulance was soon in attendance. However, this was illegal according to the UK RT act - Hams cannot pass messages on behalf of any "third party".

My pal (who was embarrassingly employed as an "enforcer" by the UK Post Office, at that time the regulatory body for radio communications!) duly wrote an apology to the "Authority" HQ, admitting his "sin". He received a letter back saying that "Yes, he did commit an offense under The Act, and please don't do it again" (i.e. - between the lines - in the circumstances, we don't give a rat's @ss!)

Hopefully the CAA will view this "offense" in the same light - if there is any sanity.

Someone has probably done so already, but I will be dropping a line to the Brighton and Hove Evening Argus, directing them to this thread - a little "ad" on behalf of the heli company concerned may not go amiss!

I'm relieved to note that Southern Flight Centre (who are fixed-wing) is in no way involved - or I'd have to find another school when I occasionally can afford to fly a C152 - any "budding helo pilots", please not the other company at Shoreham mentioned above, and take your business elsewhere!