PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Demonstrated cross wind.........
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2006, 17:00
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HFD,

The Seneca 1 has a 13kt max demo'd xwind...
Ah, thanks for the correction.
...and at this XWC the last part of the approach (rudder to align, wing-down for zero drift) requires huge amounts of rudder and aileron input (getting near to full deflection)
So I gather, from a colleague of mine who warned me about this when I had to fly one of these for a couple of hours. But in those couple of hours, I never experienced cross-winds anywhere close to this.
You're correct that there's an aileron-rudder interconnect (because of the low roll response at low speed and the adverse aileron yaw) but I assume this uses a spring; it certainly doesn't limit the ability to use the aileron/rudder independantly
In which case, do you know what the difference is between this and the later Senecas with the higher (17kt) demonstrated x-wind? I know from personal experience that the Seneca 5 can be landed very comfortably in a 20kt x-wind, and from that experience I would guess it could handle quite a bit more. I'm not aware of any other difference besides the rudder/aileron interconnection - but I don't know the type intimitately enough to be certain of this.

Bogbeagle,

As I said earlier on this thread, Cessna have explicitly stated in their POH that their demonstrated x-wind is not limiting. What you say sounds plausible, but isn't correct.

FFF
---------------