PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Epilepsy
Thread: Epilepsy
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2006, 12:22
StillStanding

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Paul,

I waited until I got my drivers licence back and could drive again, which enabled me to fly solo as well as with an instructor. When you fly solo prior to a licence then all solo flights have to be approved and under the supervision of an instructor whatever your medical condition.

During my 'time off' without a drivers licence I flew at least an hour a month with my instructor to retain the level I had reached before this problem (just prior to qualifying cross country).

I did initially ask the CAA if I could continue training with a safety pilot while undergoing tests but the reply was that my medical was suspended and that was that.

I've never researched the FAA rules. When I started flight training one idea was that when in the US (I visit 4 or so times a year) I would rent a plane for the weekend. This involves getting an FAA licence which I don't believe I can now get based on the NPPL licence. So I still fly when I'm in the US - I just have an instructor as a nanny and let him do the radio and I can enjoy the flying. If I want to fly somewhere and stop for breakfast or lunch the instructors are normally delighted if you buy then a meal.

Originally Posted by paul 2007
Hi Stillstanding
Thanks for the info
Did you need to finish your training with a safety pilot, what about SOLO NavEx etc. ?
Currently digesting the contents of JAA Medical manual you referred me to for further background.