PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Demonstrated cross wind.........
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2006, 20:44
VFE
Dancing with the devil, going with the flow... it's all a game to me.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with you FFF.

One is no longer naive enough about flying to dismiss a theory straight away without careful consideration but having been told during my CPL training days that the x-wind limit was the speed at which maximum aileron deflection would not be sufficient to stop the windward wing lifting I'll continue using that explanation for my students. If a limit is a limit then the point surely must be not to exceed it.... so it's all acedemic in that sense.

But coming onto max demonstrated (as is being debated)...... my understanding is that this is purley what the test pilot flew in the time allowed for testing and therefore may possibly be exceeded. I have never heard about the landing gear aspect regarding max-demonstrated and maybe I'm wrong and FF is right but, what was that age-old aviation saying about there being no old bold pilots?

Perhaps someone could ask the likes of John Farley over on the Flight Testing Forum to take a peek at this thread and it's recent cousin over on the Private Flying forum as I'm sure we could all benefit from his valued insight into such a matter?

VFE.

Last edited by VFE; 14th Dec 2006 at 20:55.