PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter pilot saves fixed-wing pilot - Unbelievable sequel! (NOW UPDATED)
Old 14th Dec 2006, 15:44
Flingingwings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Unbelievable

Last Sunday following a MayDay call in Southern UK, a friend of mine (a rotary FI) diverted to offer assistance. The FI had been on a X-country Nav training Ex and upon arriving he found the fixed wing inverted and the pilot trapped inside.

Having landed they managed to move the aircraft enough that the pilot could be rescued. The FI then provided suitable medical help until the Emergency Services arrived.

When the dust had settled the heli was repositioned to a nearby airfield for refuelling, a calming cup of tea, and to return a paramedic who otherwise would have been stranded in a field.

In my books the FI deserves nothing but praise. Sadly that's not a view shared by his CP

According to the CP the FI has completed an unauthorised AoC trip/s by responding to the MayDay and then repositioning whilst helping the paramedic.
FI has had to submit an MOR and the latest opinion from the CP is that the FI will have to cover the costs incurred in these 'illegal' flights

CP went further and suggested responding to MayDay's be avoided

I hope the CP and/or company owner reads this. What a disappointingly damning view of actions that may well have been life saving.

I'm disgusted at your attitude and keep my fingers crossed that whoever sees this MOR within the CAA treats it (and you) with the contempt it deserves. Lets be thankful that the rest of us are willing to look out for each other.

rant over