PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air: Alan Mansell retires
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2006, 12:52
Panama Jack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gulf Air: Alan Mansell retires

From a Press Release:

GULF AIR'S LONGEST SERVING CAPTAIN HANGS UP HIS HAT

Manama, Bahrain 11 December 2006: After serving Gulf Air for 35 years, Captain Alan Mansell retired from services, having logged over 20,000 flying hours.

In a fond farewell held at Gulf Air headquarters, Gulf Air Vice President Operations Capt Hameed Ali, senior captains and colleagues wished him good luck and good life.

"I joined Gulf Air with an intention to stay for just three years but here I am completing 35 years with the airline and in Bahrain," says Capt Mansell, whose 43 years' aviation career began from his school days, when he won a Royal Air Force Flying Scholarship to obtain his Private Pilot's Licence on the de Havilland (DH) Tiger Moth biplane trainer.

"Bahrain is very much part of my life as I have enjoyed living here; people are warm and friendly."

While at Nottingham University in England he joined the University Air Squadron and flew the DH Chipmunk. It was at this point that he realised his passion for flying and switched from academics to become a professional pilot with British United Airways (BUA). He soon moved to Hunting (Aerial) Surveys where he flew several types, including the legendary DH Rapide biplane and the Douglas DC3.

"Capt Mansell will be remembered for his outright professionalism, his passion for aviation, and his wry sense of humour," recalls Capt Hameed Ali.

"His contribution to the company has been significant, be it as a training captain, or in establishing a recruitment process for selecting pilots. On behalf of Gulf Air I would like to thank him for his contribution and wish him all the very best for his retired life."

Capt. Mansell joined Gulf Air (the Gulf Aviation Company) in 1971 and started flying the DC3, Fokker F27 and Beech 18 Queenair – the aircrafts being operated at that time. But the highlight of his career began when he moved to fly the Gulf Air's legendary Lockheed L1011 Tristar which he flew for 15 years, obtaining his Command in 1979. He became a Training Captain in 1983 and a Designated Examiner in 1989, before converting to the Boeing B767 in 1991. In 1995 he switched to the Airbus A340 and later flew A330 when it was introduced in 1999.

For the last two years he has used his experience to establish a successful selection process for pilots wishing to join Gulf Air.

He will be leaving Bahrain to settle in Cyprus, where he owns a property.

Good luck Alan!