PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall Warner
Thread: Stall Warner
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2006, 12:47
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, if you yank the stick back on a 172 that is in unaccelerated straight and level flight at 100kt, it will instantly climb! (due to inertia and the increased angle of attack of the wing chord to the relative airflow). Depending upon the angle of climb induced, it may subsequently stall or continue to climb at a lower speed. Sorry to be picky...
Actually it will stall. I did it for my FAA CPL training, where we explored the envelope and did all sorts of stalls. The FAA requires all sorts of fun stuff to be demonstrated.....

If you are say at 100kts, or Va for your weight for safety sake, and suddenly yank back on the yoke, the wings stall and the stall warner will go off. This is because you increase AoA to beyond critical, no matter what your airspeed, and the wing stalls. A common misconception is that the aeroplane will only stall at slow speed, however one very valuable piece of info I was taught and had demonstrated is:

An aeroplane can stall at any airspeed, any altitude and any attitude

Back to IO's 100kt vertical airflow Wouldn't the vector sum of the two airflows put the relative airflow at 45° (+ or -) to the wing (tan-1 100/100)? Which if so, and the wings remained attached, would put it above the critical AoA of the wing (and hence stall it?)

cheers