PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Photography on duty
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2006, 19:09
The Swinging Monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is certainly is a very grey area and I'm not convinced the MOD have the right to do this (but as they are law unto themselves, then maybe they 'believe' they can)

The copyright LAW clearly states that anyone who creates the 'artistic works' or the 'intelectual property' owns the copyright to that property, whether it be a drawing, photo, sketch, whatever.

Now the MOD believes that if the photo is taken in 'their' time, then the copyright belongs to them....hummm, I'm not certain.

Indeed, if you look at many of the 'official' photos shown in the RAF news for example, you will see that it says (c) Cpl Bloggs etc. Many other service publications name the photographer as the copyright holder also.

Clearly, some of the more stupid videos that have surfaced recently has led to the MOD clamping down, and I would agree that this kind of thing needs to stop now. As for the MOD claiming copyright on all photos taken by individulas, irrespective of whether it's in theatre or otherwise, I would certainly question the legality of that.

Kind regarsd to all
TSM