PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A question
Thread: A question
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2006, 16:39
The Real Slim Shady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bless you,
I always try to pre-warn my pax about forecast turbulence: if the Met chart warns of turbulence or I can see the "bleedin' obvious" - the junction of 2 distinct air masses, there is a fair chance that my advance warning will be accurate.
However, where does one draw the line? Do I advance warn the cobblestone effect on the basis that it may occur?
No.
Reality is that the best we can do is give some indication of moderate turbulence; notwithstanding that, we will do all we can to find a smooth ride: a lower or higher level or a re route are possibilities. Often we hear crews asking for "ride reports"; be assured we do try our best to find smooth air.
The one single thing to bear in mind is that the aircraft reacts rather like a boat, in that it rides the bumps, moving with them rather than absorbing them.
If the crew don't think it is serious enough to do anything other than ask you to fasten your seatbelt, chances are it is for insurance not discomfort. We have to be so careful these days with liability claims.

A little air turbulence and a jiggly ride is normal, if a bit uncomfortable; you don't have any need for concern, it's simply caused by the difference in motion between air.