PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many attempts to land the job?
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2006, 14:43
nuclear weapon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I have two rejection letters so far with one saying i dont meet thier current requirement but they'll keep me on file so thats 2.5 rejection letters. I am also waiting for ryanair and flybe to get back to me. Having observed those that have gotten jobs that I know I can confirm that getting a job is 80% luck an who you know. My observation has debunked some myths.

*Airlines only take integrated: Complete lie I know a lot of modular students who have gotten jobs.

*Airlines only employ those with first time passes: Incorrect I personally know a lot of pilots who have first time passes in everything and over a year without a single interview one had to do sstr with gecat to get a job. I also know people who partialled in ground school and flight test and got jobs on jet.

*Airlines only employ people in thier twenties: This is the most common lie I've heard 75% of those that I know who got jobs in the past year were all over thirty.

Bottom line while it is almost immpossible to put a finger on what the airlines want I still think the best way is having a good friend who is a training capt. I knew two chaps whose cv was bumped up this way. Infact one whose dad is a training capt with a major airline had an interview slot two weeks before he did his ir flight test. I am sure you are wondering how he filled the application form he's currently flying jets.

This is sad as i know a lot of very good pilots that seem to fit the generic criteria on the surface first time passes, gets along with different people, right age group (if there is such a thing with the so called shortage). I knew a couple guys that I along with other students in the school called very good pilots yet it took them two/three years to get a job.

Good luck and hang in there. Every rejection letter you get brings you one closer to the one that will say yes.

I have complied a list below of your chances of getting a job with a fresh atpl based on my three years of training and observation which isn't scientific.

Your dad is a training capt with an airline: 95% chance
This reduces to 70% if it is your brother or close friend.

You have deep pockets to pay for type rating and 100 hours: (97.5%)

you decide to go via ctc: 35%

You dont know anyone significant:20%
This goes higher in proportion to the numbers of cv's you send and if you are flexible to relocate i.e to Africa or Asia.

Ryanair online: 50%
I regularly talk to thier man in charge in amsterdam and he told me they've asked for over three hundered next year. If you can withstand bad T&C's then this is a good option For twenty grand you get a type rating and 300-400 hrs.