PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NSW EMS (NGO or Private operator)
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2006, 04:29
robsrich

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
A thank you to all concerned

As past owner/editor of Heli-News for 18 years, and past HAA President for three years, I have watched you all grow and mature over three decades. I would like to say thank you here to all those who have brought us to where we are today.

Change does cause pain – there is a training industry explaining why it is so.

I was part of the many Queensland changes; my first experience was as a base manager of an SES Base in Cairns. We had a host of SES volunteers, who gave so much and did so well. They were progressively replaced by professionals, and as we moved up the political chain (to higher HQ) we seemed to lose that closeness with the community. That does not mean we did not get better, we did with new equipment and training based on the mistakes of the past; but that contact with the coal face was a great sounding board for ideas; and sometimes brought us back to reality; as any bureaucrat knows when stepping away for the city office and spending time in the bush during a crisis.

It is sad when change means booting out old traditions and many famous names become faded history with the passing of time; as new people, new owners and different client expectations drive what appears to be a successful system into oblivion.

All the best and well done to those who set the foundations of our industry.

You know who you are - so have a beer on your past efforts.

In conclusion, today’s news says a formal bid for QANTAS has been made by a consortium (overseas?).

Nothing is sacred? Who now owns Vegemite?