PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 206 L3 Longranger - Why so few?
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2006, 01:45
paco

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
You would have enjoyed the Alton Towers and the JCB Longrangers, then, as they didn't stink at all. Neither does the L3 we have in Dubai, or the ones I flew for several years in Canada. I certainly don't remember that, except when I spilled it myself!

In fact, it doesn't matter what I fly, my wife still thinks I use JET A1 as an aftershave.

A well setup L is a pleasure to fly, but it has limitations, of course. The main gotcha is the MAUW at 4050 lbs, or 4150 if you have the proper yoke installed. I think its best use is for corporate work where you have only 1-3 passengers to move about. The Alton Towers one had a full IFR fit, and with full fuel, you could only take two passengers. However, it can be a cost-effective (VFR) alternative to a basic 109 whose passenger compartment is not that much bigger anyway.

I have found that the main reason people prefer Squirrels is because of the lack of partitioning between the passenger and crew compartments, and they can see what the pilot is doing. You can also get an eight-foot pole in there (don't ask!). The shorter rundown time was also a factor, but ride quality wasn't one.

Phil