PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hiroshima Airfield RJOA
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2001, 14:16
sia sniffer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did a flight once to HIJ with SIA, was a bit of a laugh, as I was witness to how not to go about an approach into this airport.

I was actually on a training flight, in the jump seat, with a senior instructor pilot "training" another pilot.

Upon initial approach into HIJ, the pilot under instruction nominated to do a visual downwind for RW10 .Good idea as the weather around the airport was clear, and we could see the airport ages before we arrived. The instructor immediately barked that it was unwise to even consider such a preposterous idea, and that we would be coducted a VOR app for RW10.

Anyway, as we went outbound for the 20 odd miles, we went over the high ground.Prior to the procedural turn, we entered thick cloud, followed by a GPWS warning, "too low terrain"
Although there are warnings about this in the app brief, our SIP nominated to continue as he was certain he knew where we were, an could make out the ground below. Well the final descent point was a long time in coming, a very quiet few minutes of flight! The trainee had many thousands of hours in command, but was forced into a decision he regretted, by a heavy handed instructor.

We did break cloud once descending, and landed uneventfully.However, this was a lesson to me that visual would have been a lot more expedient and stress free.The Singaporeans were almost fearful of visual approaches, I often wondered why.