PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EZY as a career?
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2006, 15:02
birdonthewire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Ezy is a good place for people who want to go places (command/training), or who are tied to a certain place of work or want to be home every night and I really enjoyed flying out of NCL. You get shiny new jets to play with, a fairly stable roster, training is 1st class and everyone I've met in person (below management level anyway) has been incredibly friendly and genuine.

But you don't get somthing for nothing. As a career, don't underestimate how tough the LCC lifestyle is. It's not just the rostering (which is improving) but the whole package - the long days, pressured turn arounds, the 150 chavs in the back who all know their rights and are hard work at the best of times. You don't have much control over your day to day life ie swapping shifts, days off etc compared to other airlines I've worked for and crewing I find, with a couple of delightful exceptions, rude and obstructive. Maybe not an issue in the short-term but missing nearly every party you get invited to does piss people off year after year. Some people can let the constant barrage of Orangeness wash over them, some get really wound up by it.

LCC life is difficult to sustain long-term and there are a number of examples of normally strong and healthy people having medicals suspended/crashing cars on the way home etc who will bear me out on this. Things are changing for the better but very slowly. Ezy has never tried to be a career airline and unless you have a good reason to go I wouldn't consider it long term, but it depends what you want and whether the plusses are going to outweigh the minuses.

The exception being if you can afford to go part-time in the future - you get your flying and you have a life!