PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Meltdown - Has it begun?
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2006, 12:48
Rigga

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
In the 1990’s, more financial control was given across to Stn Cdr’s with more responsibility to the direct running of all Station dealings and associated costs. Fuel and heating bills being the start of many of these items. Suddenly the Staish got all hot over Heating bills, and lights being left on in Hangars!

In 1997, there was a huge governmental change where (I think) all top-level ministers had no experience of the military apart from possible cadet service.

In the late 90’s, we also saw a change of attitude from a ‘defence’ orientation towards a ‘business’ orientation. (That’s just about when I left)

‘We’ have had a succession of business-minded ministers in charge of MOD since then, and they have introduced more and more “Cost Effective” measures, meaning less and less direct costs for procurement and replacement and less and less to spend on maintenance costs too.
Privatisation of more and more aspects of Forces Regimes has taken place – IMO straight into the coffers of the new 'few'.

The end result seems to be that defence of the realm has become a business concern first, a governmental publicity tool second, and a defence force later. ('Defence' because I believe the RAF can no longer mount a sustained or long range attack against any substantial counter force).

The only reason the present government is promising to spend money on a Trident replacement (only believe it when we’ve got it) is to retain some credence within world politics. A lack of nuclear clout for UK would remove us from every political forum going, and reduce us to the newest third-world country in the world.

My point in these ramblings?
Over the last 20-ish years, since the Berlin Wall came down, the politicos have changed the allegiance of the ruling ranks to more of a business acumen than a military attitude. I am pretty sure CAS is more worried about the state of his Accounts than the state of the Ammo he is buying.

The RAF is now being run as a business; employing basic and often crude business methods to reduce wastage, without regard for the type of work done or the effect on manning for any other reasons. (Chug – That’s what LEAN is about)
A bit like founding your current man-power on 1990’s weekend working times and conditions.

What remains is a force that can do the very tip of its former capability.

'We' can send our few jets into any trouble arena once.
'We' don’t seem to be sure if we can repeat the action successfully a second time - because we don't have the previously supportive infrastucture, materials or (due to LEAN) manpower.

Please Note : the Govt has now started to LEAN all Govt Offices - including Tax offices, watch the backlogs building there (possibly due to a lack of manpower).