PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2006, 10:10
Flatiron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accident Investigations

XH536. I understand your need to know your father. Mine sired me in May 1944 and then went off to invade Europe, never to come back. But having spend a good deal of my RAF career with flight safety, I know that BoIs can never tell the whole story, especially when all the crew died and there was no clear tech defect. XH536 crashed in Wales because the crew pressed on in deteriorating weather conditions. Shades of the Mull of Kintyre, we will never know why for certain. As for Glenview, there are a few of us with a piece of the jigsaw. I have one because I spoke to the captain before he went, another Prune stalwart has another because he met the crew in the Goose enroute to Chicago, and so on. But even though we can surmise what happened, none of us can know the whole true picture because we were not in the cockpit at impact. I can only say that Board members can only do their best with the facts they have. If you really want to know your father, don't pin your hopes on green-foldered BoI reports - talk to his mates.
All the best.