PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crosswind take-off. Upwind engine failure.
Old 12th Dec 2006, 09:52
Blip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crosswind take-off. Upwind engine failure.

Can someone describe to me what would happen if during the take-off of a B737NG at maximum certified crosswind, the upwind engine failed just after reaching V1. That is to say a crosswind from the right and the right engine fails?

On a 45 metre runway, how far off centreline can we expect the aircraft to deviate even with maximum rudder input, or can we expect to happily track the centreline?

On the other hand think about what happens when the downwind side engine fails, ie crosswind from the right, left engine fails. Before the failure you would have a heap of right rudder, and possibly left control wheel ( the subject of another thread!). And when airbourne and climbing away, you would have a heap of left rudder, and control wheel basically centred. There would not be nearly the concern of tracking the centreline as the other engine failing, however there must be an interesting change in rudder input somewhere between the two!

Regarding the upwind engine failure, what does the certificaion process require with regards to directional control on the runway. I have looked on the internet and have found no reference of use. I found a PPruNe link to an FAA Avisory Circular but couldn't see any relevent information. Perhaps I missed it.

http://www2.airweb.faa.gov/Regulator...Highlight=23-8