PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - letter that RAFNEWS would not print
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2006, 07:36
Wyler

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
My twopenneth worth.

I see no reason why all our aircraft need to be flown by Officers only. Our one big event of the social calendar is the Battle of Britain celebration. A Battle that would not have been won without SNCO pilots. This is, however, a taboo that will not be broken because those that lead the RAF benefit directly from this arrangement. The result is you will have far too many Officers on the books and they will demand a career path in order to stay in.

I spent 25 years in the RAF and benefitted from some outstanding SNCO's. I also had to clear up after a lot of below par individuals. The Divisional system was a good idea because so many of our troops were being 'stuffed' by lazy, incompetent SNCO's who would not/could not manage them and, most importantly, put the required effort into the report writing. The Div Off helped to fill a gap and at least make sure that the balance was redressed as best as possible. Also, it proved a valuable 'wake up' to the JO's to the problems of man management.

The letter in question was not published, IMHO, because of the one or two digs at the heirarchy. Not because it is an officers rag but because anything printed by the RAF News is open to scrutiny. They cannot be seen to be party to unsubstantiated rants. I wrote a scathing letter regarding the 'perk' for Wg Cdrs and above being able to forego the RAFT and CCS. That was based on fact and was published.

Slightly off topic but I think we should introduce not just responsibility to a post but also accountability. By that I mean if you are promoted you should also be able to lose the rank. So, if you are in a management job, either Officer or SNCO, you will be assessed not only on the job you have done but also on whether or not you justify staying in the rank. I would also allow previous units to recall individuals to justify actions taken in the past. This might help focus the mind, as too many people hide behind the current system with no fear of any real consequences.