PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Management And Pilots Should Read This!
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2001, 15:02
phd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QAww - all valid points - but the same could be said for all airline employees across many airlines. Having worked in several other industries before arriving in this one I have seen good and bad management practice and good and bad industrial relations. For such a technologically advanced industry as ours what I find bizarre is how dickensian the industry is in its management of people -all of its people. More enlightened industries have learned that the way to beat your competitors and deliver consistently high standards of service across your business is by taking your people with you, both in body and in spirit. That requires respect, good communication and team-work to achieve a commonly held vision of what the company and its people stand for. Sounds like b*ll**ks I know but people are not robots, and money is not a prime motivator for those who have sufficient of it to live on comfortably. What most people seek is to be valued by colleagues, customers and their employer, to have a say in how the company is organised and run and to feel that they have a stake in the future of the business. To achieve this the airline industry must come out of the dark ages and start managing people as individuals and not as units of production. No signs of that happening right now.

-------------------------------------------
Pobody's nerfect.