PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a SIA pilot.
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2001, 06:26
WLT

Ichewa,

I just wanna point out again that a degree from Massey does not guarantee anything. It may help in getting an interview. My advice will be to get a degree that will help you get a good job if you fail the SQ interview. Good luck. It is still quite some time before you apply.

MZ,

Take it easy. Try for a spot in the RSAF first. If you are unsuccessful, at least SQ will know that you have passion for flying because your records will show that you tried for the RSAF. However, gotta wait till you are 26. A short wait. During that time, talk to as many pilots as possible and try to formulate what will be appropriate to say during the interview. I cannot stress enough to need for earnest, honest and humble answers in front of the panel. (the interview is a joke to the management captains and all they are looking for are answers that will please their ears)

As for all the anti-SIA postings, all I can say is that it is partially true but if you are seriously interested in flying and you are Singaporean, it is probably the only route. You have to realize that SQ will never pay as well as say, CX or BA. It is run like the military but it does offer a stable job and if flying is a passion, even better.

However, let me remind all the young and clueless guys who do not know what it is all about. If you are in it for the girls and money, you will be disappointed. Go be an investment banker or trader. If you are in it for the passion, you will be fine. However, gotta remind you that you will be treated like a dog during the 2.5 years of training. Gotta be prepared to eat the humble pie during that stretch.

Pardon my straight talking but I think any Singaporean who is in it will agree with me. Let me remind you that we are not expats and will never be. They have more choices. Your chance will come but only after seven years when the bond is served. However, will you then make the move when you have way too many commitments like wife, kids and housing loans? Too early for the aspiring young guns out there to think about this.

To all flying enthusiasts out there. Good luck and godspeed.

WLT