PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia Global Search for ATCs
Old 11th Dec 2006, 08:03
AirNoServicesAustralia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Desert Rose and the rest wondering about going to Oz from the UAE, the best I can offer is that guys returning from here to Oz certainly haven't had any trouble with the workload.

Not a mine is bigger than yours exercise so chill out everyone but the following info is to help the guys in Dubai know what to expect.

October 2006 Sydney had an average of 781 movements a day, whilst Dubai had about 850 movements a day.

To use 5 Miles' other factor list, mix of traffic for Sydney, according to Airservices Stats, about 550-600 per day are jets, and 250 are props. Dubai would be weighted more towards jets, but about 15-20% of those jets are Russian crap boxes (TU154's, IL76's etc) and then there are lots of AN-12's, F50's, B-1900's, and F27's, so a pretty varied traffic mix, with extremely varied pilot abilities and english capabilities.

Sydney has 3 runways, whilst Dubai has one runway (although hopefully before hell freezes over we may have 2 again). Dubai is open 24 hours a day (except when it is closed for runway de-rubbering (not sure thats a word??) as it has been for a couple of hours a day recently), whilst Sydney is closed for 7 hours every night due to a noise abatement curfew.

Sydney has a lot of retrictions placed on their operations due to noise abatement procedures which Dubai doesn't have to contend with.

Dubai does of course have UAE ACC providing a perfect 20 NM spacing between the aircraft during busy periods and 15 NM at all other times, so that is a consideration for you.

Number of sectors I can't answer for Sydney, and as far as Dubai is concerned I can only go on my best guess, that being, one Arrivals sector, one Departures sector, one Coordinator sector, and one Director sector (during busy times), and I think sometimes a Minhad sector to "control" the military. Dubai guys can correct me on that one I'm sure.

Sydney is a lot more automated with a flow system in place that hopefully means the intervention needed by the approach controllers is kept to a minimum to achieve the sequence (well that was the plan with Maestro, whether that is the case I'm not sure). Dubai for all intense and purposes has no flow system, with the approach guys getting aircraft in the same gate spaced at the required spacing but no sequencing of traffic from the 3 different gates, so the approach controllers in Dubai do a lot of intervention to achieve the sequence.

Dubai controllers have assistants to pass estimates and distribute strips. I am assuming like the rest of Oz, Sydney controllers do not.

I am again assuming Sydney Approach can run 3 NM's. Dubai Approach can only use 3 NM when director is open and aircraft are with the director (and there may be other restrictions), otherwise the separation standard is 5 NM's.

As has been said previously, controllers handle whatever traffic they have to handle. The point of this post is the guys from Dubai (and UAE ACC for that matter) who are seriously considering a move to Australia, want to know what traffic levels to expect. I hope this post helps them out with that.

Last edited by AirNoServicesAustralia; 11th Dec 2006 at 09:06.