PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Meltdown - Has it begun?
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2006, 07:57
TrickyTree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glum
...I was told in no uncertain terms that having one of my lads sweep the hangar or clean the vehicals was illegal, and my only recouse was a charge...
I don't understand this. Hangars DO need sweeping. Wagons DO need cleaning. These are facts of life. The fact that you chose an erk to do it who just happened to be late for work - what on earth has that got to do with it?

But you're right. I charged an airman 4 years ago (the only one in nearly 17 years as an NCO) and it was thrown out. SEngO decided that the gross insubordination displayed was just a bit of banter. I decided SEngO was scared - he's not a lawyer and I, who preferred the charge, am not a scuffer. Hence he threw it out. The airman was promptly marched back in and given a stand-up hats-on interview without coffee but that's not the point.

I've got 2 years left to complete 22 years and there is no way on earth that I am going to complete the LOS 30 that I am signed up for. When Brain Porridge can come here and say to all the SNCO's and junior officers "this is how it is and will be, if you don't like it, leave" and my own gp capt tells all his seniors that "the air force doesn't owe you anything" - well, Mr Gp Capt sir, neither do I, after 21 years service, owe the RAF a goddamned thing, and Mr Porridge sir, after your little diatribe I now have to go back to my section and inspire loyalty in my subordinates. How do I do that when I have just heard with my own ears that the man (until not so long ago) at the top doesn't give a stuff about us?

I love the Service. I really really do, but I cannot wait to leave - that is sad enough but the real tragedy is that there are hundreds, nay! thousands like me.

Oh, I'm off for a cup of tea and a biscuit now. Ta-ta!