PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Meltdown - Has it begun?
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2006, 07:08
glum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that people at all levels are more inclined to look after number one these days. Powers of punishment have all but been removed entirely for SNCO's - I was told in no uncertain terms that having one of my lads sweep the hangar or clean the vehicals was illegal, and my only recouse was a charge.

Now for a bloke that turns up late it's a bit steep to slap him on a charge, so you give him a bollocking and otherwise let it slide. He knows the worst you can do is get a bit shouty.

Of course, we are encouraged to counsel, and find out WHY he was late - maybe he has family problems etc etc. Well fine, but a good SNCO will know this anyway.

To compound this problem, the middle management do not back up their SNCO's. I recall a Snco's meeting where the Sqn WO told us all to ensure dress standards were improved - no civvy T shirts under overalls, clean overalls, no steels showing through boot leather.

Within 2 days I observed said WO walk straight past a JT who was wearing filthy overalls tied round his waist, and an Iron Maiden T shirt proudly displayed. they even exchanged a 'good morning'.

Now as a newly promoted SNCO, what example am I to take? Where is my back up when I give the blokes a talking to about their standards?