PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus vs Boeing (McDD)
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2006, 01:06
18-Wheeler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not going to participate in a A vs B slanging match, so this is my last post on the matter.
I have problems with the Airbus flight control laws simply because they have pre-determined how the aircraft is going to behave.
However, in the real world, strange things happen that the geeks sitting behind desks can never think of, and hence the software either cannot deal with or will not let you deal with.
In my old 747 Classic for example, some years ago we had some maintenance done just before departure. After liftoff there was a strong vibration in the airframe and to cut a long story very short it was found that the repair wasn't done properly and the inboard ground spoilers were standing straight up.
There's no procedure for that, we had to make up our recovery on the spot.
This is just an example, with my point being that ultimately ONE person has to decide how and what the aeroplane does, and that's the Captain, not someone safely sitting behind a desk.
If I have the need to over-G the plane to save it, I will.
If I have to run some non-standard configuration to deal with some strange problem, I will.

And yes I agree, I would rank MDD & Lockheed ahead of Boeing, then somewhat of a distance to ...... Airbus.