PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When are Company SOP's Dangerous?
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2006, 01:01
madtrap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is all very interesting. As an airman, trainer and checker over the last four decades, I've been watching the evolution of CRM discussions with mounting interest. Robert Helmreich, a Professor of Psychology at the U of Texas (since Pontius was a Flight Cadet, according to his bio), with a specialty in human factors research, is an amazing source of eye-watering intel. I recommend 'googling' him for those who have not been so advantaged.
I've always been at least bemused by his perennial observations that pilot/aircrew members from the British Commonwealth have a tendency to 'wing it' (competently) when it comes to procedural matters. In latter years he has acknowledged that airmen from the United States have tended to fall into that illustrious grouping as well.
The upshot of this is that societies where individual strengths and initiative are valued tend to be weaker on strict procedural issues, while societies which are more dogmatically traditional and hierarchically structured tend to put greater emphasis on dogmatic procedural adherence.
In any event, the polemic on this issue is healthy interchange, and the corporate and individual experience input is healthy and entertaining as well as educational.