PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CARDIFF - 3
Thread: CARDIFF - 3
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2006, 22:47
DanielP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is all very interesting news.

I must admit that I have wondered why nobody serves the usual European loco destinations from CWL (e.g. Pisa or Nice). I am not particularly interested in the "bucket and spade routes" personally and have always been disappointed that I cannot plan my journeys from Cardiff.

As for the "they'll go from Bristol" type argument- yes I have travelled from Bristol (for Italy) and Luton (for Nice), but that's because I COULDN'T travel from CWL- is this not in danger of becoming a circular argument?

For example, I wanted to travel from Rhoose to Pisa. In the end, drove to Bristol, then Bris to MXP on Bacon (Easy too expensive!!!). Overnight in Milan, then train to Pisa (still cheaper than Easy from BRS). Very gauling to drive by both CWL and Pisa Airports without being able to make the link- I could probably have been sitting on the beach at Cancun (via T-Fly from CWL) in the time it took!

Although I'm one of those people only too grateful to take advantage of the cynical and potentially short termist loco strategies, I always work out the fares very carefully (including the additional cost of car, tolls or train journeys). Surely I am not the only potential customer who may be willing to pay a little more just not to have to drag into the UK to fly?

As for the FlyBe Q400s, I am not too bothered about prop vs jet- I think that (apart from the reliability) FlyBe may have lucked out in being one of the few operators to pursue this aircraft- when the oil price went up, who was laughing then? In fact, as I now travel with a toddler, I prefer smaller planes, as there are less people to upset per journey!

At least CWL isn't "putting its eggs in one basket" (yet)- however, it does seem to attract operators who only "stick their toe in" or keep to what they know (Baby). I'm really hoping FlyBe will shake things up for the good and that more consistent and comprehensive services become established.

Look forward to being able to fly from CWL soon (hopefully!).

Daniel

PS...noticed TNT have been stationing QC aircraft at CWL, but thought that they were in freight config. Who are they operating for?