PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2006, 17:32
MamaPut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil Chc, Yes - Bristow, No!

mayotte,
Yes, but ask yourself how many of the posts here are from Britow people, presently on tour in Nigeria? Very few I'd think, because most of them have limited or no, internet access. CHC have internet access from everywhere, hangar, staff house and in all their accomodation. Sure, it's not always the best, but this is Nigeria, and all of them have internet access almost all of the time, making it easy to keep in touch with family and friends when they're here.
From talking to Bristow people in PH, I gather most of them have almost nothing and that, combined with a collective insult to all staff in PH from their deputy MD, is making it very difficult for them to get any but 'pressed men' to go to PH even for a week. In Lagos there's internet in the BRC (though not wireless internet in every room like CHC have), central messing which costs less than the (pathetic) daily allowance and a lunch provided at work. In PH there's internet only for those staying in the hotel, but there the food costs about twice the daily allowance, so every rig they go to can now be heard being asked for 'refreshments for the crew'. In the Orlando Court there are good rooms, but no alchohol permitted and no internet access. In the hotel, food nobody can afford and internet access slower than a Lagos 'go-slow'. At Dodgy Woji - who knows - I'm told there's no internet, but don't know about food. At the NAF Base, internet access for the priviledged few (the management).
So what I'd say is, yes, avoid Nigeria, but if you have to go, join CHC. Good money, good roster already in place, meals provided, good communication with the outside world, good benefits, a known infrastructure and paid in a currency much more stable than the falling US$. Bristow; falling money (unless you live in the USA or a country whose currency is directly tied to the US$), unknown roster, unknown benefits, unable to afford to eat and little or no communication with the outside world.