PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL - 3
Thread: BRISTOL - 3
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2006, 16:50
Bristol_Traveller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can see that Bristol faces opposition from a group of people who (as individuals) have an unusually potent mix of being relatively affulent, environmentally aware and organised. That probably reflects the socio-demographic make up of the Greater Bristol area and the area directly around the airport. We're certainly the most eco-aware part of the UK - for both good and bad.

There's an unjustified level of stridency and emotion in their campaigning; maybe there aren't enough environmental risks in the West to put the airport's proposals in proportion? (I would have thought much of the chemical business down at Avonmouth was a far greater *risk*, but less visible).

I don't have much experience of dealing with North Somerset council; if it was Bristol City Council, I'd be groaning. BCC is a council that rarely shows leadership or organised thinking. I suspect they must have tired legs from all the knee-jerk reactions.

On a divergence; Bristol - Stockholm has turned up on SAS website, at about £104 return (mid July dates). But it hasn't permeated Star Alliance's website, who claim that the only Bristol in the world is in Virginia, and LH (my *A home airline) can't look at award booking avails yet for the same reason.