PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Check-Out Scandal: Discussion.
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2006, 16:35
eharding

A little less conversation,
a little more aviation...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Miserlou
I found the Yak is very conventional in its handling characteristics so you'll forgive me if I don't find this argument convincing. It builds an aura around the aircraft which is simply unjustified. You'll need to be more specific with this mishandling situation before it can have any relevance.
Destroying the engine is easy if you neglect the proper pre-flight checks. But negligence and mishandling aren't traits which a one who calls himself a 'pilot' exhibit, are they?
The specific example I was thinking of is the behaviour in an accelerated stall when the Yak is slightly out of balance - manifested as a violent and un-announced flick, more often that not experienced in a tight steep turn, and equally often in the opposite direction to the turn - a proven killer at circuit height. The other is the unconventional flat spin recovery technique, but that's a slightly different scenario to the like-for-like Arrow to Yak experience.

Normal handling of the Yak is fairly benign, if a little heavy - it's the abnormal cases which need to be trained for. I'm just using the Yak as an example - there are plenty of other SEPs which have their own little oddities of handling and operation which will bite the uninitiated, and that's why checkouts or cross-training are required. The fantastic rudder & stick skills you seem fixated with are a bonus to safe flying, but they don't make you immortal - beyond that, I'm bemused as to what you're trying to get at here - do you have a point, or are you just trolling?