PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Moving from Canada to Hong Kong?
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2006, 15:47
Hem-O-RRhoid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cedar Tree,
Simply filling out a few forms may cost you dearly when you and your family decide to repatriate yourself if you have not gone through the proper channels. I have been going through the expatriation process myself and would be happy to assist you. I decided to let professionals "tax professionals" do all the paperwork and advise me accordingly. That's not exactly easy either because like all professions, there are plenty of the "used car salesmen" type in this business as well. It's also not as expensive as you may think but remember that all the while that you are living as an expat overseas, tax rules are in an ever changing state back home in the great white north and your trusty tax consultant will advise you when a new form has to be signed / changed etc, and with email communication and couriers these days it will be a very simple and streamlined process................ And yes, you may keep your existing property here in Canada as well as bank accounts etc so long as you've done everything properly. You will however have to sever some of your financial ties. ie: car(s), boats, toys and other fringe benefits. If you haven't tied up all of the loose ends properly, you'll be welcomed back to Canada with open arms but they won't be stretched out to give you a big hug.
I'm not sure where you are living but after some research, I have located a very trusting and straight shooting consultant who has been expatriating and repatriating fellows like yourself for 25 years. Feel free to PM me if you'd like some more information. BTW I am in Western Canada as well.

Congratulations on your new adventure!
Hem-o-rrhoid