PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - London Interview
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2006, 14:46
planestupid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V1

Originally Posted by birdonthewire

If I had to either stop 8kt before V1 or rotate 8kt after V1 which would I choose? Said I'd continue as at least I had a fighting chance of getting away with it and that if I had stopped I'd definitely have gone off the end of the runway. He was quite happy to give me time to think it thro and seemed as much interested in my thought process as the answer itself. This lead to question on reduced screen heights.
Please tell me if I am wrong? I always thought V1 was a decision speed so if you have a failure below V1 you STOP and after V1 you GO.... Theoretically choosing to stop (8 knots) below V1 will stop you before the end of the runway and choosing to rotate at Vr (regardless being 8kts above V1 - especially on th 747!) should get you to the screen height. Historically stopping on the runway after an aborted TO has led to many accidents.. remember we aint no test pilots!! However TO with 1Eng inop in bad weather, over your landing weight and a high MSA can be quite challenging. Like many company SOPs there are criteria when aborting a TO below and above 80kts.. eg. don't abort if you have a tire failure above 80kts and V1! Fire is always a tricky one... think about stopping even above V1 if there is an extented stopway. aka Concorde!
Anyways... something to think about. Happy flying and interviewing!!