PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA ATPL/CPL(H) Ground School / Distance Learning
Old 18th Feb 2005, 12:38
solouk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm currently doing my PPL(H) and intend to follow a similar plan as yours.

Trying to fly once every two weeks is not a good way to spend your money. I try and have a lesson at least once a week, but if I miss a week (usually because of weather) then I really notice it in my pocket - I find that the next lesson is partially wasted because I have to cover stuff I should have nailled the previous time. Continuity is a money saver!

If you want to get a head start on CPL skills, use your hour building time after you get your PPL to perfect techniques - if you have a good relationship with your PPL FI, he/she can help guide you.

Also, if you are going to try distance learning, make sure you can commit to it. You won't have much spare time with all the studying you have to do. If you've ever done an OU course you will appreciate that comment!

I've heard that FTOs love distance learning - because it is easy money for them. Many people start the courses but many give up. It doesn't matter how many give up because they are not wasting classroom time.

Other than that, your plan sounds good.

One step at a time untill the money runs out!

Solouk