PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Meltdown - Has it begun?
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2006, 08:28
JamesA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get out while the going's good

I drifted into this forum whilst waiting for a delayed flight and being fed up with the children in my home forum (Freight Dogs).
I left Aunty Mary's sanctuary many years ago for all the reasons I have read on this and other threads within the forum. I find it unbelievable that I and my colleagues who jumped ship did nothing to wake up the government of the day and their successors that there was nothing seriously wrong with the armed forces. I can only imagine the sand has got deeper or their necks have got longer. Having experienced the lack of spares, poor equipment, etc., I fully believe all of your grievances and , say as many have posted, you have to vote with your feet. Perhaps in my day, there were too many of us and early releases were a way to save money in the long run. But, as I read the present situation nobody in the ministry knows or cares how to look after their bread and butter (no armed forces - who needs a MoD). It appears standards are non-existent not just fallen. So much for the traditions of Cranwell and Halton, which set the precedent many foreign services wished to attain. Now the RAF is dragging along with the third world airlines. (I used that quote in my service time, but see no improvement today).
In case you are wondering why I think I can give my tuppence worth to you
currently seving guys and gals. I don't like to see people run over when they are giving up so much of their early lives, in some cases all of it, by such an ungrateful government. I will not say nation as I believe if and when the British people know how you are treated, they will appreciate your efforts. I served 20+ years between the kipper and shiny fleets. The lack of investment in the service finished it for me. When I saw a gang of men stripping a 'lightly' crashed Phantom for spares and flying VC10s on the 'war standard' due to lack of spares I knew it was time to go. Now in the civvy world of reality, I have been in and out of work - out due to companies which thought they could skip the afore mentioned investement. It works today, but next week it bites in the bum in a big way.

Whine/bitch over - do battle with secutity staff (see other forums)

Stay safe - we will carry you home if the Vicar and Uncle Gordy will open their wallets.

Keep your