PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C172 emergency landing in egypt
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2006, 06:39
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trentino
I have 2500 hours in a cessna, does that qualify me as a captain too?
engine failures in a 172 are a total non event, anyone worth the oxygen they consume should get the thing down relativly well.
I had one quit on me at just above 1000agl and made a 180, good thing the 737 behind me heard me and stopped his t/o roll
With 2500h on type you should know better than to do a 180 at 1000ft, and especially advertise it to perhaps no so experienced readers.

The " captain " is possibly the translation from the local language . In French,for instance, any pilot in command is " commandant de bord" which is also a military rank. . Be a bit kinder to forgeiners.

But before trying to ridicule his post, the question about reliability of TAE engines he asked is a very interesting one, which is being heavily debated in many Clubs today when an engine replacement is due.

A friend of mine had one quit on him recently on a DA40 and the cause is still being investigated, beleived to be electric. As despite 2 FADEC and 2 batteries , if you lose electric power, the engine will stop.