PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus technology defects
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2006, 04:52
CONF iture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speevy, thank you for the quote.

I can see it’s part of the last modification because just before that it was still:
“… it is recommended to disconnect the A/THR by …”
But anyway, the meaning is not that far, and to be honest I didn’t remember reading that, and if I did, I had forgotten !
So … one point for you !

Now, regarding Habsheim, the crew did get, as they were still on the ground, a blinking amber CLB Annunciation in the FMA, which is quite abnormal, and reveals an A/THR malfunction.
Passing 1000 ft the pilot brought back THR LEVERS from FLX MCT to CLB detent, but N1 commands didn’t follow the order (and it’s part of the same page you did quote: If A/THR fails, A/THR will disconnect) so the pilot had to leave the CLB detent position in order to control the speed, therefore, he was in MANUAL THR.
Early in the fly-by, he depressed the instinctive disc button just to make sure he was in MANUAL THR.
Please, read page 103 to 105 in the Asseline's book, it's good information for an Airbus pilot anyway.

At that point I’d like to mention 2 things:

1- The total flight was less than 5 minutes, but the commission report still did elect not to show the DFDR transcript of that early part of the flight !?

2- It’s easy for me, 18 years after, facing my screen, to say that maybe that early A/THR malfunction should have been the signal to CAPT Asseline not to go further in that flight …

For Zeke, I don’t forget your post, I’ll be back soon.