PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Retention (or lack thereof)
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2006, 04:51
Captain Sand Dune

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This has been done before, but I'll have a go. I've been in the training world for more years than I care to admit to (hey, someone's gotta do it, right?!). Other from the more pointy bits of the RAAF may want to add their own slant.

If you look at the total amount of pilots in the RAAF, we've got heaps.

However, if you start looking deeper, things start to look markedly different.

Although we may have lots of bodies, it's the experience that's lacking.

Certainly in the training world, QFIs' barely reach category B (assessed as above average, used for remedial training and developing junior QFIs) and they're yanked back to the front line.

Over the years the minimum experience levels for instructors course have decreased markedly.

Here's where those from the pointy end can fill in the gaps or correct me:

The transport world has recently lost a whole bunch of instructors/experienced drivers to the airlines. I believe it's similar for the maritime world.

Experience is dwindling in the FJ world too. This puts even more strain on those left behind to do conversions etc (across the board, not just FJ). Remember Australia still has operational commitments to fulfill.

I know that although the guys and gals love
flying the best kit in the country
, but there comes a time when other factors take priority. Some are leaving because they're just getting burnt out.

Good old Ronnie continues to flog those that remain because, hey, we can just "train our way out of it"!

Having said all that I must also concede that improvements have been made over the years. The RAAF (and Army and Navy I assume) are certainly much more sensitive to those with families and are willing to negotiate when it comes to postings. There is less of a "we must all strive to be CAF and be promoted ASAP" mentality. Those who do not wish to scale the greasy pole of promotion are not treated as once they were.

At the end of the day there are always those who will want to leave, and a certain amount of "wastage" is healthy. However IMHO the way things are going with the airlines is greatly influencing those who are undecided.

Good thing I didn't post this from work then!