PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Additional info on fatal crash - Piper PA-31-350, N40ST
Old 8th Dec 2006, 23:12
mikelimapapa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Additional info on fatal crash - Piper PA-31-350, N40ST

My cousin was killed on July 10th, in this fatal crash. The only info I received through the grapevine was that he had a dual flameout after switching fuel tanks. I've been waiting to see the final report, but I was just wondering if there was anybody out there who had more intimate details.

NTSB Identification: SEA06FA139
Nonscheduled 14 CFR Part 135: Air Taxi & Commuter
Accident occurred Monday, July 10, 2006 in Easton, WA
Aircraft: Piper PA-31-350, registration: N40ST
Injuries: 1 Fatal.
This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.
On July 10, 2006, approximately 1735 Pacific daylight time, a Piper PA-31-350, N40ST, impacted a tree about one-half mile east of Easton State Airport, Easton, Washington. The commercial pilot, who was the sole occupant, received fatal injuries, and the aircraft, which was being operated by AirPac Airlines, was destroyed by the impact and the post-crash fire. The 14 CFR Part 135 air cargo flight, which departed Spokane International Airport, Spokane, Washington, at 1620, was being operated in visual meteorological conditions on an instrument flight rules (IFR) flight plan. There was no report of an ELT activation.

According to the controller at Seattle Air Route Traffic Control Center, the pilot was in cruise flight at 8,000 feet above sea level, when he reported that he did not have enough power to maintain his assigned altitude, and soon thereafter stated that he did not have enough power to make it over the Cascade Mountains. The aircraft then began to descend, and the pilot transmitted that he was going to go to Easton. About five minutes after he advised Center about his power problems, the aircraft was seen turning from a left base to final for runway 27 at Easton. When the aircraft was about one-half mile from the end of the runway, it impacted a conifer tree about 20 feet from its top, and descended into the terrain. After impacting the terrain, the wreckage erupted into intense flames.