PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CARDIFF - 3
Thread: CARDIFF - 3
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2006, 21:40
TwinAisle
Scourge of Bad Airline Management!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we all agreed that either it would finally make BMI Baby management pull their socks up in terms of giving Cardiff some decent routes and increased frequency or if FlyBe really took them on then yes of course they could withdraw
There, I too agree. I am not clear how it helps CWL if the latter option becomes reality. With the best will in the world, a few routes to CDG, BRU, GLA, EDI and BHD would not make up for the loss of the sheer lifting ability of baby. Pax numbers would inevitably fall, and the leakage to BRS would increase.

I also take it Twin Aisle you are equally not privy to any figures
Nope, no idea, except a stab in the dark based on years of experience and their accounts...

I know all about yields etc you have explained it enough times
Always nice to know that my jottings don't fall on deaf ears all the time....

but when the locals abandon Cardiff to go to Bristol as they can fly to Newcastle about 8 times for the price Eastern charge for 1 trip out of Cardiff then that isn't good for the airport.
Which is the nub of my argument. Is the management at the airport in danger of stuffing baby, and the chances they get of anyone else coming, because they have encouraged flybe to sit on all the short routes? That would mean less choice for passengers, with more leakage to BRS/BHX.

With regard to the price argument - you are of course right - but don't assume that the desires of the airport and the desires of the airline are congruent. Sometimes the airport has to do the wrong thing (for them) to get the right result (for them).