PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who is the best heli pilot in the world?
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2006, 13:49
albatross

Received 156 Likes on 78 Posts
Best Pilot

A number of years ago in a bar in Schefferville Quebec a number of hard working helicopter crew were undergoing social re-ajustment when one of the group was heard to say to an attractive lady: " I am one of the best helicopter pilots in Canada! In fact I am rated number six!"
Due to the fact that this "Gift to Aviation" had already planted one 206 on floats upside down in the trees during his short career and had a reputation for doing stupid albiet specactular moves I was quite surprised. He would go on to plant a couple of other machines for unsuspecting operators before leaving the industry.
I turned to the guy next to me - a grizzled old salt who was looking and listening with an amused expression - and said: "Geeze I didn't even know there was a contest!"
The grizzled veteran looked at me and said:"Neither did I. You gotta admit, however, that old number Six over there crashes very well! In fact, if I am not wrong, he is about to crash in flames in this very bar as he screws up his approach to the lovely lady. Too fast and too low, too stupid to overshoot. Same way he FUBARED the 206. The boy wonder just doesn't learn! I await more dispatches about his further exploits with great interest. Your round I think."
My point - if there is one - if you think you are a hotshot you probably aren't.