PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One-up in an A36
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2006, 11:02
Ratshit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4SPOOLED
Pretty stupid comment there guys, the conventional tailplane A36 must be slower than the V tail, both the ones i fly are 82 models, and have the 3 blade mac prop.

And Beach Kingyeah sorry they have the IO 520..... i swap between 4 types every second day, so you get a bit confused on occasion but i fly IO 520's 540's and 550's......
4SPOOLED - Sorry, but I just cannot believe that an A36, with the IO520 on 24/24 only TASs 145 kts - indicates 145 maybe!!!

As I said, I rarely fly below 7000' at 2300/full throttle (21"?) where I get a very consistent 160 from my Scimitar prop'd V35B. I have been told that it is a couple of kts slower with the Scimitar prop - but it climbs like it is on rails. I generally make A100 in 10 min at 100 IAS, full tanks and one up.

I am curious now and at the first opportunity I will take it for a low level lap at 24/24 to see what it will do.

Couple of fallacies:

1) the V-tail is faster than the straight tail. My recollection from direct comparisons between similar BE35 and BE33 (?) is that they give the same speed. The V-tail has one less surface but is larger and heavier than the straight-tail. I would expect the BE36 to be a bit slower than the 35/33 (as Chimbu has indicated) cause the fuselage is bigger.

2) the V-tail wags its tail cause it doesn't have a vertical fin. Not so! It is a characteristic of the general design. The 33, 35 and 36 all do it in turbulence - as does the Baron. However it is true that the V-tail is the rock and roll king.

3) the V-tail goes faster if you "get it on the step" by climbing a bit past the desired altitude and then trimming it nose down to straight and level. After flying my Fork-tailed Dr Killer for quite a few hundred hours, I don't believe this is true. Climb it to the desired altitude - hit the Alt button on the AP, close the cowl flaps, bring set 2300 rpm and lean the mixture and it will settle itself to the same TAS as it will if you climb an extra 200' and then slowly trim in nose down to S&L while doing the above.

As for the C210 - well the fastest one I have flown gave a consistent 175 at 24/full throttle (21?) at height, while the slowest one ploughed along at 155 on the same power setting. I have spent a bit of time in a couple of new ones (back in the early 80's) and flown as per above I would have said the average was about 165 kts TAS.

R

Last edited by Ratshit; 8th Dec 2006 at 12:21.